BIRD PHOTO RACE
The Bird Photography Race is a fun learning bird photography activity for all ages. It doesn’t matter if you are a professional or a serious amateur; these rules are designed so that everyone can participate in an even play field. All photo-data collected would help in conservation and future reference.
A) How to Register
Entry fee :
RM25 per person (for Non-Sandakan Borneo Bird Club member)
RM10 per person (Sandakan Borneo Bird Club member).
Registration can be made either by:
- Email us a completed form which can be downloaded from our website:
www.borneobirdfestival.com and proof of contest fee payment for verification.
- Register at the REGISTRATION booth before 7.30am on the second day of the Borneo Bird Festival (20th October 2016).
- If you wish to cancel your participation, please see the organizers at the Registration booth.
B) The Race Day : 20th October 2017
- Race Briefing @ 8:00am on Friday, 20th October 2017. Venue shall be announced.
*It is IMPORTANT to attend the race briefing to identify the designated race circuit and safety procedures.
- Race Flag-off @ 8:30am on 20th October 2017.
- Race Ends @ 4:30pm on 21st October 2017.
- Your Photo-data entries must be submitted to the Race organizer before 5.00pm on 21st October 2017.
- Late submission after 5:00pm will be penalized at the rate of one-specie per minute.
- All participants are allowed to secure their own means of transportation as well as all necessary (digital) photo gear. Be sure to check your gear, charge the batteries and empty your memory cards.
- Every participant is responsible for presenting himself/herself and to submit personally and within scheduled time.
- Participants are responsible for the authenticity of their photos, it is not allowed to download or use photos from any source rather than the ones taken by your camera during the photo race event.
- It is allowed to use any and all digital photographic cameras, including mobile and smart phones but be sure to check section D for editing limitations and delivery conditions (contestants should be able to give us photos on a memory card or portable drive).
D) Editing and submission of entry
- Participants are allowed to make minor editing adjustments on the submitted photos such as:
- Exposure, contrast, brightness, saturation, vibrancy and white balance.
- Alignment and cropping.
- To shoot in RAW as long as you deliver in JPG of at least 500KB JPG format/size.
- Participants are expressly prohibited to make changes that radically change the photos like:
- Add or subtract elements to the photos.
- Substantial color transformations like vintage look or sepia.
- Change the aspect ratio (no square photos, for example).
- Composite images such as HDR and layering.
- Before submitting your entry, please ensure that you submit only 1 photo of each specie. Multiple photos of the same bird or specie shall be disqualified.
- Photos must show the camera EXIF Data, including date and time of capture.
- For those who choose to use a mobile or smart phone as their camera, be careful about using any apps that would do extensive post-processing to your photos. We suggest that you photograph with your phone’s build in camera app and if needed edit it in another app so you can always have the original photo.
- Be aware that despite using a mobile phone you still require to deliver us the photos physically – meaning that email or wireless transfer is not allowed.
- We supply card readers for the following formats: SD, Compact Flash, Memory Stick and XD. If you don’t have one of this card formats (if you use for Ex: a phone camera) or if you are not sure about which card format you own, then you should bring your own card reader.
E) Race Rules
- The welfare of the birds and protection of habitats must come first. Caged, restrained, injured or dead birds or birds declared by the organizer as escapees will not be counted. Care must also be taken to not cause distress to both birds and its habitat. Flash photography of nesting birds is totally prohibited.
- Bird photos must be photograph at the specified race circuit at Sepilok Forest only.
- Memory card of Photo-data must be proven formatted by Organizer before race commences.
- The first and last photo must be a picture of an object (Event logo) or as per instructed object by organizer.
- Attracting birds with any form of audio/playback equipment or artificial objects is totally prohibited.
- To use of Field Guide Bird Book is encouraged. The Organizer may request for a verification of the photograph.
- IMPORTANT: The organizers and others associated with the event will not be held responsible for any damages, injury or loss of life and/or limb. Participation in the Bird Race is solely at one’s own risk.
- The organizing team will screen all submitted photos in order to detect possible violations of the regulation. We reserve the right to disqualify any participant that fails to comply with the rules & guidelines stated in this document. By virtue of entering the Borneo Bird Race, the participants signify their acceptance of the rules.
- The organizer have the discretion to add, change or update the above rules, due to instant situation requirement or by the authority.
- All photos in contest remain the sole property of its authors, but the Borneo Bird Festival reserves the right to use them for promotion of this event, both online and in printed format. Photo Credit will be acknowledged.
- Organizers will not be held responsible for any loss or damage to entries subject to technical errors.
F) Jury and Awards
- The Jury is composed by elements nominated by the organizing team and will receive all photos renamed and coded for anonymity purposes.
- The winners will be announced as soon as the Jury has made their selection and the awards will be given during the Prize presentation and Closing Ceremony at 2.30pm on Saturday, 22nd October 2016.
- JUDGING CRITERIA: Judges decision is final.
- IMAGE CLARITY
- HIGHEST NUMBER OF IDENTIFIABLE BIRD SPECIE
NOTE: Images that are BLUR and unidentifiable will be disqualified.
Updating in progress….